Skip to main content

About Me

About Us

Welcome to Budget Off-road Touring. This is a small little blog about our own camping and four-wheel driving experiences. Our names are Lauren and Shaun, from Camden in Western Sydney, and we drive a 2015 Isuzu D-Max dual cab. Shaun has been camping with his family for as long as he can remember but we have only begun to enjoy the great outdoors together in the last couple of years.  This blog will be just us sharing our experiences with four-wheel driving and touring around Australia while we show that you don’t need to spend over 100k to get out and explore the great outdoors. 

My Four-Wheel Drive Resume

When I was 15, I bought myself a 2000 Ford Courier with the plans of building into a touring rig. I used it to learn how to drive a manual in the back yard. With big plans, I started off with buying the cheapest set of mud tyres that I could afford on my McDonald's wage so that I could use it around the house. The plans to keep it as a touring rig changed when I slid into a tree in the back yard, completely smashing the passenger side of the car. From then on it was more of a paddock basher to collect firewood. 

When the time came to get my licence, I decided to sell the old courier to buy myself a 1998 rd28 Nissan Patrol. The old patrol clearly had never been serviced in its life, and for 2k I don't know what I was thinking. My grandfather is a diesel mechanic and thank god for that, he has saved me a fortune. We tried to save money where we could, so we slowly replace parts of the engine that were causing leaks, but after a few months of constantly pulling it apart, we bit the bullet and removed the engine. As every P plater with a patrol wants, the plan was for a td42 to replace the rd however, the bank didn't agree with me. We decided to do a complete rebuild of the engine. 12 months after purchasing the Patrol, finally, I had my fourby that I could actually get out and use. It didn't take me long to remove the factory alloy bullbar for a winch compatible steel one (never got to put a winch in though), wiring in some spotlights and light bar, then removing the rear seats and adding a titan drawer system. At every opportunity I had, I would take the old girl out to Lithgow to get off the bitumen and on to the trials. 

As mentioned, I currently drive a 2015 Isuzu Dmax dual cab LS-M. It's a pretty tame rig, that’s designed to be my ultimate tourer. I bought the rig with a 2-inch Dobinson lift, ARB bar work all around, Safari Snorkel, 31-inch Pirelli Scorpion M/Ts, GME UHF and a Kings 115ah battery with battery box in the rear. Since buying the ute I've wired a Ctek D250SA to allow the battery to charge off the alternator and for future to run a fixed solar panel on the roof. I also swapped out the ARB IPF lights for a set of 9inch Kings spotlights and added a King Dominator Extreme winch, that I was lucky enough to win off their Facebook competition. I have also recently installed an ARB air locker into the front diff.I will talk about this more in a later blog post.



Comments

Popular Posts