Skip to main content

About Me

About Us

Welcome to Budget Off-road Touring. This is a small little blog about our own camping and four-wheel driving experiences. Our names are Lauren and Shaun, from Camden in Western Sydney, and we drive a 2015 Isuzu D-Max dual cab. Shaun has been camping with his family for as long as he can remember but we have only begun to enjoy the great outdoors together in the last couple of years.  This blog will be just us sharing our experiences with four-wheel driving and touring around Australia while we show that you don’t need to spend over 100k to get out and explore the great outdoors. 

The D-Max Returns

Over the last weekend, I got to take the Dmax out for its first trip since breaking my diff and installing the front locker. It was also the first trip for the camper trailer as a practice run for my adventure in the coming week. 

A group of us went up and stayed at Lake Lyell, towards Lithgow for 2 nights which was a great escape from reality. Just sitting around a campfire having a few cold ones is always nice and relaxing. We stayed at the caravan park as it was easier for everyone to get to and we could guarantee a spot big enough for us all. I was able to have everything on the camper out and give it all a test for its first real use. 

How did the Camper go?

The camper was absolutely perfect. Not only was it easy to tow, but it was comfortable and super practical. The kitchen was super handy as it gave us plenty of room for all the cookers, as well as allowing us to easily sort where everything lives. The camper also allowed us to carry an extra 40 litres of both diesel and water (not that we needed the spare fuel but it was good to have), as well as a 4kg gas bottle which allowed for us to use the camp bbq. So between the bbq and the butane frypans, we were able to cook up some great meals. 

Sleeping in the camper made a massive difference compared to the swag that I am used to using on these sort of trips. It was a lot more comfortable not only being off the ground but being on a bigger mattress as well (not that I remember much of the first night, hahaha). The extra room on the side made life a lot easier when getting changed each morning, while the awning gave all of our things protection from the elements.

The joys of the older canvas are how high quality it really is. We were lucky to have the sun out for the first 2 days, however, on the last night the heavens opened up. I was again very impressed with how the old camper held up, with not a single drop of water made it into the tent. The hardest part about packing up in the rain on the last day was actually putting all of our stuff into the car, the trailer itself was really easy.

What about the Dmax? 

For its first offroad drive since breaking the diff, it could not have performed any better. Driving through the tracks around the Cox River gave me a great test of how the Dmax could actually drive and perform. The front air locker had a significant impact on how well it tackled some of the dusty tracks which struggled to provide much traction. Saying that my mates unlocked Triton still got up everything we did but having the locker gave me more control and the ability to climb up any piece of track I faced on the first go.

My worst enemy over the weekend was being paranoid about breaking something. Because the ute was off the road for such a long time, I was very worried I would break something again. Once I got a bit of the paranoia out of the way, driving the rig through the trails was a lot more enjoyable. Seeing what the car could actually handle made me love it for really the first time since I bought it. Breaking the diff left a sour taste in my mouth, but now that is all fixed I am excited to see what else I can through at her.

If you would like to see videos of the Dmax in action, follow my Instagram @shaun.raff 




Comments

Popular Posts